Inlaks Scholarships provide the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment.
Applications Open: 15 January, 2020
Deadline: 31 March, 2020 at 12 noon
About the Scholarship
Scholarships are granted to bright young Indian students to read at top rated American, European and UK institutions for a full-time Masters, M.Phil or a Doctorate programme.
The Foundation has joint scholarship schemes with Imperial College London, Royal College of Art (RCA) London, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) London, University of Cambridge via the Cambridge Trust, Sciences Po, Paris.
The Foundation does not give scholarships in the following subjects:
- Computer Science
- Business Studies
- Public Health
- Fashion Design
- Film and Film Animation.
However, in the case of Imperial College, London, scholarships will be given for Engineering and Natural Sciences. Indian Studies as a subject is considered, only if it has contemporary relevance. In the field of Music, only applications for degrees in Western Classical singing will be considered. For Film, only applications for Documentary Filmmaking will be considered.
Terms of the Scholarship
- The scholarship covers full tuition fees, adequate living expenses and one-way travel allowance and health allowance.
- The maximum funding given by the Foundation is US$100,000. If the total funding required (tuition + living allowance) exceeds US$100,000, candidates must be able to show evidence that they have the ability to cover the additional requirement needed at the time of the preliminary interviews.
- Acceptance of other awards, teaching assistantships and part-time jobs are welcome after approval from the Foundation.
- The scholarship will not be awarded to candidates whose proposed course of study or specific project requires field trips back to India during their study tenure.
- Scholarships are awarded in May for commencement in subsequent September or October.
- Any scholarship not commenced within 9 months of being awarded will be forfeited.
- The Inlaks Shivdasani Scholarships are open to all Indian citizens who have been continuously resident in India for the past six months, at the time of making the scholarship application.
- Candidates are expected to hold a first class degree or equivalent from a recognized university/institution in India.
- Candidates applying for scholarships in art and design (fine/performing arts) will be judged primarily on the basis of their portfolio.
- Candidates who are Indian citizens and hold a good undergraduate degree from a recognized institution abroad, must have resided continuously or been employed or have been studying in India, for at least two years, post their return to India to be eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Candidates having a postgraduate qualification (e.g. Master’s or PhD) from an institution abroad are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates who have already begun their postgraduate education at an institution abroad are also not eligible to apply.
- It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen at the time of the application. The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission.
- Candidates can be a maximum of 30 years of age in the year of application.
- The scholarship applicants must be high achievers academically and otherwise and the Foundation will need proof of the same.
- The applicants are judged on not only their present achievements but also on their future potential. The Foundation prides itself on judging potential as much as performance.
- Application for the scholarship has to be made online on the portal which is accessible from the website. No physical application forms will be accepted.
- The portal will be accessible from 15 January and the deadline to upload the complete information is 31 March 12 noon.
- Only one submission per candidate will be accepted.
- Candidates applying in the field of architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must upload their portfolio as a PDF file or share a website/online portfolio link.
- Candidates applying for film, dance, acting, and music (Western classical singing) must also upload their portfolio through a link.
- A clear declaration must be made of all funding received for the course. In case the offer of funding comes in after the application has been submitted, it will be necessary to inform the Foundation in writing via email.
- In case you have applied for another course, for which you are not applying to the Inlaks for funding, at the same or another institution and have an offer of funding from elsewhere, you declare the same even if it is not your intention to avail of that offer.
- Two letters of reference are mandatory. It is preferred that the letters of recommendation be uploaded with your application. However, should your referee like to send in the letter in confidence they should email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must read as follows: Reference Letter | Name of Applicant | Email Address of Applicant. The deadline for reference letters being emailed directly is 31 March 12 noon.
Please bear in mind the following points before filling out the application form:
- Your email ID needs to be verified before submitting the application
- Mandatory fields marked with an (*) have to be filled
- Your data is not saved before submitting the application
- Please ensure all information is correctly provided before submitting
- You will not be able to edit any details after the application is submitted
- All the documents that are uploaded have to be in PDF format.
- After submitting the application, please check your verified email for a confirmation
- Your application status will be emailed to you on your verified email ID
- If you face any issues while submitting your application, please refresh the application page and try again.
- If the error persists, please email us the error with a screenshot at, email@example.com
- An independent Inlaks Selection Committee carries out the selection for the scholarship awardees. Applications received are analyzed and evaluated and the committee subsequently calls the most interesting and promising candidates for interviews.
- All applicants must be available for interviews in India. The interviews usually take place in either Mumbai or Delhi in the months of May or in June.
- The selection process is in two stages: A preliminary interview stage and if successful at the preliminary stage a Final interview round.
- Candidates that are short-listed for the interviews will have to arrange for their own travel and accommodation.
- Candidates who do not receive any communication from the Foundation by 15 May must assume that their applications have not been successful.
- The Foundation has been awarding scholarships to bright young Indians since 1976. The key to the Inlaks Scholarships is flexibility. The Foundation looks out for the unusual, special talent and identifies candidates a flair. Once the Foundation is convinced of the candidates’ potential it does everything possible to accommodate a worthy candidate.