The Foundation invites applications for ‘Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship 2021’.
Deadline: November 15 2021: 6.00 PM IST
ABOUT THE AWARD
This opportunity was launched in 2016 and is similar to the Inlaks Research and Travel Grant. It will enable scholars currently enrolled in PhD programmes at Indian universities to undertake a short-term visit to the King’s India Institute, King’s College London to collect material, use facilities and consult experts towards their research for their PhDs. The successful candidates can also access other libraries and academic institutions in the UK.
The Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship will offer financial support to a maximum of two candidates for a period of up to three months. The studentship will cover:
- Reasonable travel allowance reimbursable on actuals (up to USD 1000).
- Maintenance expenses (up to USD 2000 per month).
- Funds for buying materials and making copies of relevant literature, reimbursable on actuals (up to USD 500).
- Health allowance/Covid allowance, reimbursable on actuals (up to maximum USD 500).
All applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- Hold confirmed PhD registration for at least two years but for not more than three years.
- Have a first-class degree at Bachelor’s (Honours) and Master’s level.
- Be under 35 years of age on 31 December in the year of applying.
- Be an Indian citizen, currently resident in India.
- The award will be given only in Humanities and Social Sciences related subjects.
- Fully filled form for Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship is downloadable below.
- Updated CV/ resume limited to two pages only in PDF.
- Sample of written work on the subject of the applicant’s research. This should preferably be a draft (with full annotation and documentation) of a chapter of the PhD thesis along with details regarding the reading list, surveys, or any other work done towards the thesis. (3000-5000 words)
- A written and signed statement from the applicant’s current supervisor stating:
- The candidate’s ability, focus and progress in the work done under her/his supervision.
- The candidate’s need to go abroad.
- That the funds for the visit cannot be obtained from any other source.
Successful candidates will be assigned a supervisor by King’s India Institute.
The completed forms and other documents must be emailed to email@example.com with the subject ‘Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship’.
Note: Additional recommendations (i.e. other than from the supervisor) should not be submitted. Should the supervisor prefer to submit their statement directly in-confidence, they should send it to Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Recommendation for Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship: [applicant’s name]’.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS
November 15 2021: 6.00 PM IST
- The visit should commence between September-December 2022.
- Any material collected by the selected candidates (photocopies, literature etc.) must become the property of the candidate’s institution for wider use by future scholars.
- All the above material must carry a statement regarding the support received from the ‘Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship’.
- The candidates must submit a written report in a prescribed format to the Inlaks Foundation within a month of their return.
- A candidate can apply for either the ‘Inlaks Research and Travel Grant’ or the ‘Inlaks-King’s India Institute Studentship’, in any given year.
The candidates will be expected to go through a two-tier selection procedure.
- First round: short-listing on the basis of the written application submitted.
- Final round: Personal interview of the short-listed candidates, either in-person or virtually.
- Candidates short-listed for the interview will be informed by December 2021.
- Final interviews will be held in January 2022.
The successful candidate must make a formal application to the King’s India Institute as a Visiting Research Student through the King’s College London application procedure for the duration of the grant. Details including entry requirements, are available here: Visiting research students at King’s. The successful candidate should apply for a visa as per the details mentioned in the UK government website Standard Visitor visa – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).