UNIDEE Residency Programs and Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation are pleased to announce an open call for a two-month research residency at Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto in Biella (Italy) during the autumn of 2023.
In 1999 Michelangelo Pistoletto founded Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto’s programme of artists’ residencies for art and social transformation. The programme is open to artists and professionals from all over the world and it aims at providing instruments for “artivators”, i.e. subjects working at the boundaries between artistic practices, processes of social change and collaborations with communities external to the art world, weaving together moments of interdisciplinary research, exchange of knowledge and practical activities. The objective of the programme is to provide the participants with the inspiration, motivation and instruments to activate, develop or strengthen artistic initiatives based on the involvement of local ecologies.
About the Research Residency
Building on several decades of experience, we offer a Research Residency to an Indian practitioner at our Foundation through the collaboration with Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation.
The Research Residency is a residency created to support the practice of emerging artists with a situated and embedded practice.
Throughout their stay at Cittadellarte, the resident is guided along a process based on the investigation of specific aspects linked to a responsible social transformation, through debates and meetings with curators, artists and civil society practitioners, studio visits by experts, and visits to exhibitions and places relevant to the themes linked to their research.
In terms of production, the residency is not outcome based and the aim is to support the research of the selected applicant who may present it during a public open studio organised for the group of residents.
Furthermore, during their stay at Cittadellarte the selected artist will have the opportunity to engage and share their research time with other artists in residency.
About the grant
Residency date: 8th October to 7th December 2023
The 2 month long residency offered through this joint grant (Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation & UNIDEE / Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto) includes:
• Return travel from India to Italy (including airport/Biella private transfer);
• Insurance (travel and medical insurance for accidents) and visa fees;
• 2 months’ stay at Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto: single room in our premises shared with other international residents – inclusive of cleaning services, use of shared studio space and workshop facilities;
• Based on the research of the selected resident, expert visits, curatorial meetings, networking sessions will be organised;
• Study and research trips will be organised with the residents group to Venice (for four days), Turin and Milan (for one day each) to engage with the international art scene in Italy
(hotel, food and travel are covered by the grant);
• up to 300€ budget for project production and communication, translations;
• a per diem of 900€;
• If the resident is interested and has a research related to the theme of the UNIDEE modules programme curated by Chiara Cartuccia: Neither on Land nor at Sea. Meeting by the Mediterranean Im/Possible may request to participate. (The programme for the autumn modules will be released in July 2023) https://www.cittadellarte.it/unidee/statement.html
• You are an Indian citizen and currently reside in the country;
• The residency is open to emerging practitioners (artists, curators, writers, activists, cultural practitioners, etc) from different backgrounds and with different practices in the fields of socially engaged art and social practice, curatorial practice and community organisation;
• You were born during or after 1988;
• You have not previously received grants from Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation for overseas projects;
• You have a fluent knowledge of the English language.
Please note that the residency dates are fixed and no change can be accepted.
The submissions will be reviewed and evaluated by a jury consisting of representatives of Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation and UNIDEE / Cittadellarte-Fondazione Pistoletto who will then select a shortlist of candidates to be interviewed on the 24th May 2023.
Final results will be released at the end of May 2023.
How to apply
To apply you need to submit the following documents:
• Fill in the application form at the end of this open call (in English only);
• a single document containing a 1) detailed CV (2-page limit) and 2) a portfolio including up to three recent projects (in PDF format, max 6MB)
Total weight of attachments in one email: max 7Mb.
- Irtiza Malik
- Manjot Kaur
- Murari Kumar Jha
- Juhikadevi Bhanjdeo
- Rabindra Patra
- Meghna Singh
- Aastha Chauhan
- Nidhi Sundram
- Sakshi Gupta
- Rakhi Peswani
- Ajay Kumar Tiwari
- Pratul Kumar Dash
- Gigimon Scaria
- Temsuyanger Longkumar
- Biju Joze