GASWORKS LONDON UK
Residency Dates: 29 June – 14 September 2020
Application Deadline: 26 November 2019
Charles Wallace India Trust and Gasworks have an ongoing partnership to offer a fully funded residency at Gasworks, London for an artist based in India, from 29 June – 14 September 2020. Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation became joint partners in 2011. The Foundation was established in 1976 by Indoo Shivdasani as a permanent platform for his philanthropic activities and focuses on providing scholarships, grants and awards in any field for outstanding young Indians to develop their professional, scientific, artistic and cultural abilities.
Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation
The Residency Comprises:
– 24-hour access to a fully accessible studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
– An Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
– Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 3-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence)
– Basic living expenses in London (£150 p/week)
– Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
– Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
– Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)
Selection and Eligibility
The residency focuses on self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation and is open to emerging and mid-career Indian artists, under the age of 40, resident in India. Contemporary visual artists working in all disciplines may apply, though one must note Gasworks’ restricted facilities. Emerging and mid-career artists producing high quality work and who have not had the opportunity to work in London before will be prioritised.
Applicants should submit a project proposal outlining their specific research interests and intentions for the residency. Those who fail to submit a proposal that is specific to this opportunity will not be considered. Applicants should also have at least a moderate level of spoken English and should feel comfortable discussing their own and other’s work in English. It is important that applicants research Gasworks thoroughly before submitting their proposal so as to be fully aware of the context which they would, if successful, be entering.
The artist will be selected on the basis of their application. All applicants will be notified by Friday 20 December 2019.
We accept digital applications only. Please use the online application form at the bottom of the relevant opportunity page on Gasworks’ website, here.
Your application should include the following in ONE PDF file only:
- An artist’s statement describing your practice and areas of interest (up to 250 words)
- A minimum of 10 images of recent work, with captions and a short description if necessary including evidence of previous experience in developing and delivering new commissions
- A CV/Resume
- A simple statement outlining your plans, if you were to be offered the residency, which should include a short description of an intended research project responding to the themes of the Working Practices project synopsis and a brief description of your proposal (up to 500 words). This proposal does not have to be definitive and can change during the course of the residency, but should indicate the direction, scale and relevance of your ideas.
- Any relevant documentation (e.g. articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc)
- A cover sheet with name, contact address, e-mail and telephone numbers if available, plus confirmation that you will be available from 1 July to 16 September 2019, if selected.
Applications that do not follow this format will not be considered.
Please note that there is a 10MB limit on pdf submissions. If your file is not in pdf format or is over 10MB you will not be able to submit it.
Application Deadline: 26 November 2019
- Niyeti Chadha
- Ranjit Prakash Kandalgaonkar
- Priyesh Trivedi
- Desire Machine Collective : Sonal Jain & Mriganka Madhukaillya
- Kartik Sood
- Shreyas Karle
- Yashas Shetty