INLAKS SHIVDASANI FOUNDATION
Published January 21, 2019
Collection of personal data
If you choose to apply for the Scholarship, the Inlaks India Foundation may collect the following information and personal data from and about you from your application and your referees or recommenders or in the course of any independent background check or due diligence process, which you consent to by participating in the application process:
Biographical information, which may include:
– Name and contact details
– Education and employment history (including standardized test scores)
– Scans of identification and nationality / residency documents (e.g., passport, birth certificate)
Personal data (including gender, nationality, birthplace, residency timeline), which may also include:
– Your personal statement/essay
– Portfolios, materials, writing samples, examples of your prior work
– References and recommendations (including referee contact details)
– Academic distinctions, prizes, awards, grants and scholarships obtained by you, as well as your extra-curricular achievements and attainments
– Admission status and related information, including details of fees, other scholarships or financial aid received, from or relating to the university you have been admitted to
Sensitive personal data, which may include:
– while we do not generally seek to obtain sensitive data, they may sometimes be inferred from other data we hold, for example, your relationships, health, job titles, support of specific causes, or interests.
Purpose and nature of use
We will use your personal data for the following purposes:
– to enable us to process your application and to conduct the selection and interview process to determine your eligibility and appropriateness for grant of the Inlaks Scholarship in the context of a competitive field of applicants
– to contact you, if necessary, during the application and selection processes
– to obtain feedback from your nominated referees
– to grant the Inlaks Scholarship and support Inlaks Scholars
– to compile application statistics
– to support our outreach efforts
Processing and sharing
Your application data is primarily held on our online application system. The selectors, interviewers and administrators shall have access to your applications. They will access that data via the application system and may download it locally and print hard copies to support the selection processes.
Third parties will only process your personal data on our instructions and where they have agreed to treat your data confidentially and to keep it secure. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes nor to keep your data after the processing is complete. All our third-party service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. Whenever your information is shared, we will always seek to share the minimum amount of information necessary to fulfil the purpose.
We will only process your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another related reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so. Please note that we may process your data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law. We also reserve the right to communicate the personal data shared with us to third-parties pursuant to a legally-compliant request.
We take the security of your data very seriously and we have appropriate security measures in place to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost or misused. Access to your personal data is limited to those employees, contractors, volunteers and other third parties who have a need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
The data contained within your application will be retained by the Inlaks India Foundation for a period of three (3) years after the end of the application round in which the application was created. Following three (3) years, the data will be permanently deleted with only non- identifying summary statistics and aggregated data remaining. For successful Inlaks Scholarship applications, the applications will be retained by the Inlaks India Foundation, digitally and physically, indefinitely.
Revisions and amendments
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or about your personal data, or if you want to provide updates to your data or exercise any of your rights as outlined above, please email us as below, and quote your name:
Inlaks India Foundation